conferences and events
- Publication of the encyclopaedia HABITAT: Vernacular Architecture for a Changing Planet by London based publisher Thames & Hudson, with editions in the United States by Abrams Books; France by Flammarion; Germany by Detail and Spain by Blume.
Coinciding with the publication are:
- HABITAT Events commencing on 21st September 2017, as part of Climate Week New York City 2017 with an Official Affiliate Event at The Pratt Institute Brooklyn, followed by events in London, Brussels, Milan, COP23 Bonn, Paris and Novosibirsk.
- The HABITAT Embracing Change Exhibition wills present traditional knowledge systems’ case studies for 17 Sustainable Development Goals: created by HABITAT publication contributors, Designed and curated by Dr Sandra Piesik and 3 ideas Ltd.
- 2017 Climate-KIC Climate Innovation Summit, Milan
- Keynote speaker at the Global Science Technology and Innovation Conference, Brussels G-STIC 2017 on Socio-economic and environmental potential of indigenous sustainable building materials in the developing world. Implementation of Agenda 2030 and 2020.
- COP23 Bonn UNFCCC Climate Change Conference
- Climate Week New York City 2017
- Global Science Technology and Innovation Conference, Brussels G-STIC 2017 on Socio-economic and environmental potential of indigenous sustainable building materials in the developing world. Implementation of Agenda 2030 and 2020.
- Climate-KIC Climate Innovation Summit, Milan
- COP23 Bonn UNFCCC Climate Change Conference
- COP22 Marrakech Climate Change Conference 7-18 November 2016 Twenty-second session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 22) and the twelfth session of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP 12). Green Zone Side Event: Urban and Rural Resilience Programme. Oasis Cities. Adaptation of The Paris Agreement.
- Anthropology, Weather and Climate Change Conference 27-29 May 2016, British Museum. Organised by The British Museum and The Royal Anthropological Institute. Convenor of the panel The Generation of Climate Knowledge Keynote speaker: Chairman of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation of COP21 Paris Agreement of the UNFCCC Paper: Criteria for the Adaptation and Implementation of COP21 Paris Agreement in the Context of Technology Development and Transfer of Renewable Resources.
- Milan EXPO 2015 Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life Speaker at the Khalifa International Date Palm Award Symposium held in Milan EXPO 2015. The Use of Arish (Palm – Leaf) Between the Present and The Future.
- Participant in the capacity of a scientist in the 3rd Scientific Conference of The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification, 9-12 March 2015, Cancun, Mexico
- Shubbak, London’s festival of contemporary Arab culture 11-26 July 2015. The Nomad: a discussion panel on traditional Arish architecture as technique and inspiration in today’s Gulf with Khalid Shafar and Dr Sandra Piesik. Asia House 20 July 2015.
- Organiser and speaker of the lunch reception Renewable materials, the circular economy and climate change: does date palm cultivation offer lessons and inspiration? At The Royal Geographical Society with IBG in London, 23 March 2015
- Speaker at the Engineering Forum of Nigerians (UK) 11th Spring Conference 2014 in London, 28 June 2014 Low Cost Construction Materials and Methods for the MINT Countries.
- Speaker at the Paris-Sorbonne University Conference in Abu Dhabi conference 17-18 December 2014, The oasis: eco-systems and their value to heritage and tourism.
- 2014 Lectures at London South Bank University and the University of Portsmouth School of Architecture.
- Livres Hebdo Sandra Piesik, first prize winner at “J’aime le livre d’art”
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung In the mountains, you simply build differently than by the sea
- DETAIL.de What is next? Thoughts on the Potential of Vernacular Architecture for a Changing Planet
- DETAIL.de COP23 Side Event, Endogenous Technologies and the Natural Capital. Cross-Sectorial Capacities for Adaptation.
- UrbanNEXT Vernacular Architecture for a Changing Planet
- World Architecture News WAN Habitat: Vernacular Architecture for a Changing Planet
- WorldProNews HABITAT: vernacular architecture for a changing planet – book report
- Designboom HABITAT: new book explores vernacular architecture for a changing planet
- DesignMENA New landmark book by Sandra Piesik about vernacular architecture explores human ingenuity
- The Irish Times Going local: the key to housing, and to saving the world
- Climate-KIC What can we learn from pre-carbon cities?
- The Ecologist Vernacular architecture, its craftspeople and our sustainable future
- BD Why learning to build like our ancestors is essential for the survival of the planet
- The Guardian Habitat: Vernacular Architecture for a Changing Planet, edited by Sandra Piesik – review by Rowan Moore
- Aesthetica Magazine Revolving Sustainability
- Investments in a Holistic Vision of the New Oasis City are Critical for Improved Livelihoods in Drylands in the Face of Climate Change
- Mazdar Digest Date With Destiny
- The Tryptic Note Reinventing for Sustainable Development
- The Blessed Tree Are Date Palm Leaf Buildings the Key to Climate Change?
- Arabian Business Al Ain ‘palm leaf arch’ sustainable project wins endorsement from the UN
- DesignMENAWinners announced for Middle East Architect Awards 2015.
- ConstructionWeekOnline Middle East Architect Awards 2015: Winners.
- ConstructionWeekOnline Face to Face: Dr Sandra Piesik
- Middle East Architect Al Ain Project Endorsed by United Nations. Brainchild of architect Sandra Piesik gets global recognition..
- Design MENASustainable Al Ain Project Wins UN Vote.
- EspaZio Think globally, act locally
- Flair Magazine Middle East Indigenous Ingenuity. The Food Shelter
- The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification 3rd Scientific Conference book of abstracts
- The National The Sabla Project: Building on past experience
- Designboom Sandra Piesik constructs a food shelter using palm leaves in the UAE
- Details Architecture Des abris en feuilles de palmier?
- Art Sheep Sandra Piesik Builds A Food Shelter Out Of Palm Leaves In The UAE
- Russian Design Hub
- The National The story behind UAE headlines
- RIBA Journal Desert Wrap
- IDentidty Date with the future
- Shawati Palm Fronds: The Answet to Food Shortage
- The National The house in Al Ain that history is building
- designMENA Traditional construction methods provide contemporary solution in Al Ain
- BuroHappold Engineering Revitalising old traditions using modern innovation
- Shawati Cultural Blueprints
- Deco Venice Biennale and the Arab World
- Venice Biennale 2014, The UAE Pavilion Catalogue
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- Shawati’, Awakening to a Long-Forgotten Resource
- Brownbook, An urban guide to the Middle East Back to basics.
- Imperial College, London, Reporter
- Middle East Architect, Palm Potential
- WAN News, 3 ideas Ltd and Buro Happold raise awareness of Palm Leaf architecture at summer workshop in southwestern France
- The National, Date palm leaves: the sustainable building resource.
- DECO Magazine, Taipei, Chinese edition
- RIBA Journal, An oasis of palm
- The Architects Journal, House of Palm
- WAN News, Sandra Piesik encourages architects worldwide to turn over
a new leaf
- Brownbook, An urban guide to the Middle East, Arish: Palm Leaf Architecture
- WAN News, The big question: what shall we build next?
- The National, One architect demonstrates the power of the palm tree in London
- The National, Book reawakens interest in ancient palm-leaf architecture
- Buro Happold, Preserving 7,000 years of history: Palm Leaf Architecture
in the UAE
- Article 25, Arish Palm Leaf House Build
- AQNB, Endangered Knowledge
- Middle East Online, Emirati palm leaf architecture celebrated at London expo
- Phoenix Institute of Desert Agriculture,Palm Leaf Architecture (Arish).
Why it is relevant today?
- National Geographic Al Arabiya, The Arish Story
- The National, Fame for Bedouin huts built before architects or plans
- INTBAU, INTBAU Member’s Award-winning Arish House Reconstruction
- The Architectural Review, Arish House
- 2017- HABITAT Embracing Change Exhibition coinciding with the publication HABITAT: Vernacular Architecture for A Changing Planet.
- 2015 – Qasr Al Hosn Festival 2015 Abu Dhabi
- 2014 – Venice Architectural Biennale, Fundamentals Curated by Rem Koolhaas, the UAE National Pavilion
- 2013 – Support from the United Nations Women’s Guild for an Exhibition in Geneva on: Date Palm Industry. A Holistic Concept for Environmental and Economic Eco-Systems
- 2012 – The Royal Geographical Society with IBG, London
The first European exhibition Arish: Palm – Leaf Architecture in the United Arab Emirates, held at the Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers) in London , 16 April – 25 May 2012. Design and curated by Sandra Piesik. Collaboration with Buro Happold Article 25 and Alexander Maitland.
Thames & Hudson Arish: Palm Leaf Architecture at the Royal Geographical Society with IBG
- 2012 – Buro Happold: Innovators in the Field, London
Project featured: Arish Palm-Leaf Sculpture. The first structure to be designed and constructed with date palm leaves in Europe. Project in collaboration with Buro Happold and Imperial College, London.
- 2012 – London Festival of Architecture 2012
- 2011 – AR Emerging Architecture Awards, The Lighthouse, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2010 – AR Emerging Architecture Awards, The Royal Institute of British Architects, London
Image credit: Ain Salah, Algeria © Google Earth, Digital Globe